Tuesday, January 20, 2009

St. Crispen's Day

You know, I'm always reluctant to blog about hot topics; I honestly believe that my appeal lies entirely in quirky irrelevance. 

But here's the thing. It's the night before the inauguration and after a marathon viewing of Band of Brothers (which I've been trudging through all winter break), I just....well damnit, I feel hopeful. 

I won't lie: my inner cynic wants to watch Obama's inaugural speech at a bar tomorrow and drink every time I hear the words "hope," "change" or and allusion to a speech by Abraham Lincoln. But for the first time in a long time, I want to set aside that cynicism and believe that maybe, just maybe we have a clean slate. 

Maybe all those campaign promises weren't promises. Maybe we can fix some of the damage of the past few years. Maybe we can look past our differences, be they obvious or a little more hidden, and focus on our humanity.

I have my doubts, of course and I certainly disagree with Mr. Obama on many big policy points.

But at the end of the day, he makes me hope, against all reason, that there may be a better future just around the bend, for extraordinary times break the mold for the ordinary men. 

Goodnight and good luck Mr. Obama; Lord knows you'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. Right now, the only place to go is up. I think today is a huge step in the right direction for the US

    ReplyDelete