Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jane Austen Would be Disappointed

It's a truth universally accepted that otherwise successful women will spend far too much time lamenting about the men in their lives, or the lack thereof.

Over the past two day, I have dealt with both of my roommates / bestfriends in tears over guys who don't call as often as they should. One has a boyfriend who is dark and brooding. The other is having sex with a guy who dumped her over six months ago but they're "working through things."

Maybe it's just me, but complaining about your "terrible" love life to your eternally single friend seems just a tad insensitive. 

To be frank, my romantic life sucks. Sure, everyone swoons over this guy who calls or that guy who wants to take me to dinner. But they rarely call a second time and dinner usually ends up in some sort of disaster.

Sure I make a big joke of it all and amuse everyone with my antics, but let's be honest, if I wasn't laughing, I'd be crying. And I do cry sometimes, but I have the decency to do it silently in the solitude of my own bed. I'd appreciate the same courtesy. 

I understand friends are supposed to pull each other up, but it's emotionally exhausting, especially when it's the same old issues they have the ability to fix.

Maybe I'm just in a terrible mood: the constant cold is getting to me, I'm overworked, I just found out a trip to London I'd been looking forward to is now canceled and my own mother paid more attention to American Idol than me on the phone. 

Happy Wednesday....

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but men really do suck.

    However, women aren't that much better.

    Come to think of it, why do we all suck so much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! I'm in your situation now, and was in your friend with the "working things through" situation a few months ago. I mean her situation for the minute is worse. But ours is overall really sucky. Your friend who is working things through: once she feels better take her out (make sure she won't cry the whole night), make the whole night about her- but be sure to be checking out any and all guys that are there! Just don't be obvious. Because trust me, there are some good guys out there, and your friend could definitely use some help getting away from her not very good guy! Good luck! Hopefully you find a good guy sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your situations. Every time I really like a guy, it never turns out the way I want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I'm also the friend everyone comes to cry their sorrows out to and at the end of the day all I wanna say is - get the fcuk over it already!! Or atleast just leave me out of it.

    But I'm just too nice!

    ReplyDelete