Monday, February 9, 2009

If This Isn't Nice, I Don't Know What Is

Ugh. Currently, I'm sitting in my in professional writing class. It's supposed to be a focus on persuasive writing; instead, the perpetually gloomy professor (think a 6'5 Eeyore) focuses primarily on descriptive writing and we spend the bulk of the 3 hour seminar doing out loud read alongs.

Also, whoever is next to me keeps farting. Charming.

However, I can't complain. The weekend was great - the weather was beautiful and I spent most of Saturday letting myself get lost in familiar places throughout the city. When it comes to good weather in February though, I know the east coast is a fickle lover and I should probably expect snow within the next week (it's actually on the forecast for Saturday...)

Also, as a treat to myself, I went and got my makeup done on Saturday night. In an effort to instill more class into my life, I'm going to try to make red lipstick 'happen' for me. While any Star Wars nerd would readily tell you that according to Yoda, there is only do or do not, no try, any woman who has dabbled in stark red lipstick would readily agree that there is a very definitive realm of trying.

It's kind of sad that I feel like I have nothing to write about when my life isn't falling to shambles, but I think Kurt Vonnegut was onto something: 

"But I had a good uncle, my late Uncle Alex. He was my father's kid brother, a childless graduate of Harvard who was an honest life-insurance salesman in Indianapolis. He was well-read and wise. And his principal complaint about other human beings was that they so seldom noticed it when they were happy. So when we were drinking lemonade under an apple tree in the summer, say, and talking lazily about this and that, almost buzzing like honeybees, Uncle Alex would suddenly interrupt the agreeable blather to exclaim, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." So I do the same now, and so do my kids and grandkids. And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' "



2 comments:

  1. red lipstick is sexy, especially if you find your own red color :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhhh, red lipstick...

    ReplyDelete